Politics

Ilhan Omar Sparks Outrage After Her Links To The Minnesota Fraud Scheme Are Revealed

Ruth Kamau  ·  February 20, 2026

Fresh scrutiny is once again swirling around Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn., as investigators continue digging into Minnesota’s massive Feeding Our Future fraud scandal — and the congresswoman’s indirect connections to individuals now convicted in the case.

While prosecutors have not accused Omar herself of any criminal wrongdoing, newly highlighted details show that several people in her political and social orbit were deeply involved in what authorities describe as one of the largest welfare fraud schemes in state and federal history. The case has already resulted in dozens of convictions, with more still pending.

Ilhan Omar in an interview at CBS News Face the Nation, Photo Credit: Fox News/Youtube

Adding to the seriousness of the probe, the Trump administration is now examining whether some of the misappropriated funds were diverted overseas, including possible links to extremist groups such as the Somalia-based terror organization al-Shabaab. Officials stress that this line of inquiry remains ongoing.

One of the most prominent figures tied to Omar is Salim Ahmed Said, the owner of Safari Restaurant in Minneapolis. The establishment gained public attention after hosting Omar’s 2018 primary election victory celebration. Said, 33, was convicted in March 2025 on 21 federal charges, including wire fraud, bribery tied to federal programs and money laundering.

Safari Restaurant in Minnessota involved in a fraud, Photo Credit: Libs of Tiktok/X

Prosecutors say Said personally walked away with roughly $5 million by falsely claiming his organization was providing meals to needy children during the pandemic. Instead, authorities allege the money was used to bankroll an extravagant lifestyle. He now faces the possibility of decades behind bars.

Safari Restaurant itself was approved to receive more than $16 million in taxpayer funds for meals prosecutors say were never actually served. Court filings detail purchases that included a $2 million home in Minneapolis and thousands of dollars per month in luxury retail spending.

Another individual with direct ties to Omar’s political operation has also admitted guilt. Guhaad Hashi Said, a campaign official who worked on her 2018 and 2020 races, pleaded guilty to running a sham food distribution site called Advance Youth Athletic Development. Prosecutors say he siphoned off approximately $3.2 million while claiming to serve thousands of meals per day.

Photos circulating on social media show Omar and Guhaad Said appearing together at multiple community events, fueling criticism that she should have been aware of suspicious activity. According to court documents, Guhaad Said played a role in aggressive voter outreach within Minneapolis’ Somali community during Omar’s campaigns.

A signage of Feeding Our Future posted on a glass, Photo Credit: Libs of Tiktok/X

Omar has repeatedly said she had no knowledge of the fraud and denies any involvement. Still, critics point to her sponsorship of the 2020 MEALS Act, legislation that expanded pandemic-era nutrition programs and, according to prosecutors, made the fraud easier to carry out.

Bill Glahn, a policy fellow at the Minnesota-based Center of the American Experiment, told The New York Post that Omar’s proximity to the convicted individuals raises serious questions.

“She knew these people personally,” Glahn said. “They were raking in tens of millions of dollars from the program. Either she missed obvious red flags, or she chose to ignore them.”

Campaign finance records also show that Omar received approximately $7,400 in donations from individuals later convicted in the fraud case. Her campaign returned those funds after the scandal came to light in 2022.

Minnesota Governor Tim Walz and U.S. Representative Ilhan Omar, Photo Credit: Jim Weed/X

So far, more than 70 people have been charged in the Feeding Our Future investigation, with at least 45 convictions secured. Authorities estimate that roughly $250 million — and possibly more — was stolen from programs intended to feed vulnerable children.

Omar’s congressional office did not respond to requests for comment regarding the latest revelations.

As the investigation widens and federal authorities pursue potential international money trails, the political fallout for one of Congress’ most high-profile progressive voices may be far from over.

Sources: Daily Mail